Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hysteria, Mobs and other Manic Afflictions

I have to wonder about the mentality of some folks, I really ,really do. Given that this subject has been taken up by various other local blogs such as Not the 6 O' Clock News I just had to vent my spleen on the matter instead of continuing a ongoing commentary in the comments of other blogs. The situation being that a convicted pedophile was apparently in Sunbury some time ago visiting his family, he has been paroled and is under parole conditions. I cannot condone nor understand the actions, drives or mindset of such people but he served his time and was paroled, albeit he committed the crimes in another state and came to our town to visit family..He was here a few days. Enter the great white knight of the people, JAKAS (Jack Also Known As Steve) Medcraft: local COUNCIL representative and self appointed advocate of all he believes to be wrong with the world ( the Word According to JAKAS). Any way one thing lead to another and a mob developed out side the home of this persons family and he was not even there!!!! The people who were there were local and took their children there also...Now let me get this straight, you are concerned for the welfare of your children, you take them to the house where there is no pedophile, to witness verbal abuse and mob mentality of the family who live there who left with crying and distraught children...This taught your children what exactly?? That dad is a YOBBO???

Given that the whereabouts of the parolee would have been known to the police as parole conditions would have been such that he would have had to report to them...I doubt the police would not have been checking the whereabouts of the parolee. I do not think that they would have given out the address as it would have been contary to the Privacy Act and endangering the lives of the occupants, plus would have caused the police to have to watch out for this KKK style rally which was insidiously organised.

I cannot understand the ideals of such people, as the sister of someone who was sexually abused, I know for a fact that victims want to forget the past as much as possible; closure comes with the incarceration of the perpetrator. This sort of action does nothing for the victim and they rarely , if ever ,attend such gatherings. The ideal that they are doing it for the victim is a furphy as the victims in this case are not local nor even in the SAME STATE!!! Protecting your children, from what ...a 70 plus year old man worn down by years in prison with the label of "rock spider" who would have spent most of his time in lock down security for his own protection, from an old man whose every move would have been monitored by family and police..Oh, yes and the Bogeyman lives under your bed too , I bet.

Victims do not want nor need the sort of vigilante style protest as demonstrated in our town on Sunday, I do not want my town associated with the term "red neck", I do not expect my locally elected officials to undertake my "protection" in this or any other manner like this, I do not want nor need the dangerous, insidious, underhanded fears of a self appointed white knight to speak for me or mine. I was bought up to believe that forgiveness is divine and if the victims are able to move on from this , who are we to undertake their so called cause for our own perceived publicity gains?

1 comment: