Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My boy read me a book last night.............

For a child who I was told would struggle in mainstream school, Mr 6 is not doing too badly. He proudly bought home his first reader last night, titled " I Can Swim". It consists of about 10 pages with an animal on one page undertaking the action with the words beneath and the other page has the surrounding happenings. This is because the "new" style of learning to read is no longer phonetic ( sounding out) but using other prompts for word recognition's such as pictures, no longer do teachers say "sound out the word" but "what do you think he is doing". Close enough is good enough..If the child says splashing instead of swimming, that will do; it's still visual comprehension.

Anyway, my boy read me a book all about a crocodile who can swim and a monkey who swings and an elephant that squirts and a leopard who can run and all sorts of other animals and their antics.

My boy read me a book and recognised 3 of the ten vocabulary words in the back
My boy read me a book and told me all about what else was happening in the book
My boy read me a book and then re did the vocabulary words
My boy read me a book
My boy can read

No comments: