Monday, August 08, 2005

Where have I been? I'm sure I do not know

I realised today I have been very remiss in some matters. I visit peoples blogs and comment under my blog name, thereby leaving a trail for them to visit my site, but I have not updated my sidebar. How inconsiderate..I think this is a bit like meeting someone in the street that you know when you are with someone else and not introducing them...Very rude. So to the people I am about to introduce..I apologise for my rudeness.
Firstly, there is Creative Mechanisms who has a local blog with great pics and an insight into the local political scene that is like something out of the Nixon era. Next there is Not the 6"o" Clock News another commentary on issues both local and abroad. And finally there is Sign Language who has written a brilliant critique on the the new HP book ( PSSSST...I think he is/was a teacher in the English/lit area as I know I am often compelled to critique any thing and everything) and has other interesting reads amongst his political manifestos. So now I am up to date and I fiddled about a bit with some things and hey, presto (well, I'm impressed it worked, Ok!!!)changed the titles and split them into local and other things (big deal, right, yeah I know I should be soooo over it)

I have been busy, busy, busy...Completion of Mr 5's Vineland on Wednesday went ok....Some questions do not allow you to score as "establishing" for a task, they can either do it or cannot...So I decided to score could not for those he could accomplish less than 50% of the time and that he was able to do those he could do more than 50% of the time. I am at a point now where I do not think he will qualify for funding and we will have to do what we can within the Catholic system and just fight for everything. Notice the PSD will be changing in 2008 there was an article in yesterdays "Sunday Age" about changes but the critics are saying it will be an election year and will get pushed to the background. Thursday saw me playing at kinder (Claytons fruit duty, the fruit duty you do when there is no fruit) had a great time with the Lego farm yard and the Mobilo...Why do little boys always gravitate to me? Do I look like I could build a truck from Mobilo? (For the record I can) Friday, I cannot recall what I did but it was housework related with alternating playing of cricket with Messrs 5 and Almost 3 and the dog and hiding from the "spacemen" who inhabit our garden along with the fairies and the "monsaws" (monsters).

One scary thing I must comment on is the Governments idea to force independent schools to adhere to a State guidelines of practices. It is supposedly to stop the spouting of quasi religious based advocacy of violence...But I can see it interfering with religious teaching. Given there is now a video being promoted which pushes the premise of Creationism about also, I worry about political interference in the choice of religious or non religious teaching in the classroom. Darwinism was taught to me in a private Catholic girls school, the diversity between that and the basis of our religion was left alone as we were old enough to see that one was science and one was religion. Same as other beliefs in other religions...If taught at the most opportune time and with understanding and explanation...Students will see that one is the exception not the rule and that much of it is metaphoric. People send their children to religious or independent schools for many reasons...One of the most prominent being a lack of faith in the State system. If the Government interferes with these schools they will become nothing more than pawns of the Government.

3 comments:

Crritic! said...

Cheers Supamum, and thanks for the rap. And no, I've never taught English, but taught other things from time to time at various levels. Long story.

On the independent schools thing; I can't say I completely agree with you, though your opinions are probably more nuanced than a blog usually leaves room for. Brians's comments are interesting, and I'd refer you to an excellent article I just read on the faith/science dichotomy in New Scientist magazine.

A bit of it is here: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725101.900

But I'd be happy to send it to you, if you like.

Crritic! said...

Cheers Supamum, and thanks for the rap. And no, I've never taught English, but taught other things from time to time at various levels. Long story.

On the independent schools thing; I can't say I completely agree with you, though your opinions are probably more nuanced than a blog usually leaves room for. Brians's comments are interesting, and I'd refer you to an excellent article I just read on the faith/science dichotomy in New Scientist magazine.

A bit of it is here: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725101.900

But I'd be happy to send it to you, if you like.

I am the Queen of EVERYTHNG...OK!! said...

Don't have a problem with the science/Darwinism thing...all for it. Just not Govt interference in the RE side in ind/religous schools. Or the promotion of a Creationism video in Govt schools..if parents want a biblical/religious outlook for kids regarding creation...its their choice, not for Govt to promote via a qausi religious/political party (Family First)