Monday, June 25, 2007

What do our kids teach us?


We are supposed to be the teachers of our children, their mentors, their life guides but it bodes well if we can sit back and look at what they can teach us. Like how to laugh at ourselves, children do it so well or laugh at an embarrassing/bad situation. For example, last night at dinner Mr 7 was getting by Dad about something or other( he was in trouble and I can't even recall what for). Mid lambasting Mr 7 states;in a matter of fact tone.. " I farted" and well, no one could have kept a straight face after that. 2IC was hiding behind his hands and I was choking on my drink. What can you do? Laughing in the face of being told off for a misdeed..what an ace.
It made me wonder if I'd have the patience and knowledge I do ( in fact the whole family do) if Mr 7 did not had additional needs. Sure, there are drawbacks and I would love for him not to have to struggle but for what we have gained from it as a family I could not begin to list.


AS for Miss10, well "out of the mouths of babes" they say. She has one of the wickedest senses of humour I have seen in a child her age. Together with her "whatever Major loser" completed with hand signs..it takes a lot to try and be serious. Her little ad lib impersonations of teachers,friends, personalities in her own scenarios. Well, they are imaginative.


Then there's my baby, Mr 4 who's "cutie boy face" could make you forgive him
anything and whose idea of non physical retaliation is to tell his brother or sister that they are not his brother or sister anymore. If only disowning ones family members was so simple, I'd have undertaken this mantra several times over.
What your children teach you takes time and reflection to realise, I think. It's something you need to look for ,like a child who is read to a lot does not realise they are formulating their sight vocabulary for later education. I enjoy learning what they teach me.

No comments: