Thursday, October 06, 2005

Thinking Reality not numbers

Ohhh shit , have heard about people posts being "eaten" now have to say I too have had the experience....So I will start again. I have been successful in getting Mr 5's paperwork submitted to the Catholic Education Office(CEO) for funding for 2006. This is after his cognitive scores were borderline but too high for part time entry to the local special school, his speech pathology assessment scores not indicative of anything other than language disorder, even if the term dyspraxia was used it has to be SEVERE to qualify. And his Global Developmental Delay (GDD) is no longer global given that he has mastered and come into line with some of the skills of children of his age.
After last week, I sat and thought about the future and what he has now and has a right to have...If we sit back and let everyone tell us that this is the way it is nothing changes for any one, EVER. My child does not meet any criteria set by bureaucrats because they are just that, not parents, not carers, not therapists. Why should a child need to fit into a diagnostic box?? Nothing is ever black and white but many shades of grey, I was always taught. So on this basis, I moved forward...To the Director of the CEO. 24 hours later I received a very NICE call from the special services co ordinator, I put our case to her, told her that Mr 5 does not fit into any set category but together his associated issues qualify for further investigation, his scores do not permit him to be considered for funding but overall he is a child who will struggle in the classroom, the playground and the social environment of mainstream school. I was not willing to take a "wait and see" approach in regards to his step in the realm of formal education. There is no going back once on this track, only being kept back. I am a person of action and believe in pro activity, hence why I went into bat for consideration outside the realm of numbers and scores. For what good it will do, the principal has been instructed by the CEO to submit a funding request for Mr 5 for 2006. I will be submitting (for anyone else who might like to take it on) the following:
1) pediatrician letter in support of an intergration aide ( I actually asked for a letter outlining his diagnosis/es over the past years and got a support letter)
2) Speech pathology Assessment report (CELF-P) showing scores
3) cognitive Assessment report complete with Vineland scores
4) Supporting paper work showing him to be a danger to himself and others which gained additional assistance for pre school.
Having been told by the principal that based on the cognitive scores it was not worth applying for funding, you really have to wonder about why they want everything neat and tidy , labeled and boxed. If I had let this lie, I would not be where we are now, which is significantly further than last week as the application goes in tomorrow. The submission serves several purposes:
1) If declined, they at least have the paperwork, so that WHEN they decide he has a learning problem which requires assistance, they can apply for a second round of funding. (NOTE : I say "when" not "if")
2) that in the event that something happens to my child or another as a result; direct or otherwise, of his limitations..I have fully disclosed the possibilities of such to the school and the governing body by way of this paperwork. They will have not forfilled their duty of care in support services for him.
3) that in the supply of the information to the school I am ensuring that my child's limitations and/or condition will not be discussed with another parent in the event of an incident, as that would be a breach of confidentiality .

I am tired of trying to make others understand and be open about my child's limitations in an attempt for him to be accepted by his peers, all it has done to date is cause bias, judgment and vilification. If you don't tell, they cannot talk. No longer will I explain my child's condition to another parent, his sister just says "he has special needs" although she understands the way in which his brain does not allow his vocabulary to work ("broken wires from the stereo to the speaker") if any one asks, and I doubt they will, I will want to know why... For often it is for gossip only and not genuine empathy or care.

So for parents/carers of additional needs children, take note, accept nothing as the end of the rope, go over other heads, ask for another opinion if it sounds wrong or unjust. You are the only voice your child has right now, they need your mind to be a storm, your voice ..Thunder, your words need to be like lightening. There is a way to make that round peg fit into that square hole.

No comments: