Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory..Or how to ruin children's Literature

Have now seen the Johnny Depp version of "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" a few times now on DVD (don't ask, if I tell you, you will have to be buried in the yard with the others who asked)and I am unimpressed...Very much so. I have been told that they have used Dahl's original story line with the underlying premise as to why Willy Wonka becomes a chocolate guru along with much more of the original book....But for the life of me am unable to locate this "original" work anywhere (still trying though). I loved the 1960/70 Gene Wilder version as do my kids and the version of the book everyone knows to date is great also. But this film is something else, directed by Tim Burton, with only writing credits to Dahl, it is rated PG13(USA) as it has violence,language and sexual references. One liners like "never come between a squirrel and his nuts" emit a chortle from the parents but are lost on under 10's ,I think. It is "Clock Work Orange "like in cinematography and none to easy for kids to follow. Johnny Depp REALLY does look like he took make up lessons from Marilyn Manson and as Willy Wonka is just plain rude and not mischievous like Wilder was. But I guess Depp had to develop the character the way he saw it...But what was he on when he read the script, is my question.

I would NOT recommend it to any child under 10 despite all the hype, it's not an under 10-12 film, definitely not for the littlies. The magic of the waterfall room is missing, the children are more than just naughty.They are destructive, the wonderment of each new room visited is lost as somewhere along the way Wonka insults someone or has these scary "flashbacks" which without giving away the story; would stop any under 10 ever visiting the dentist again let alone having orthodontic work done. Totally unimpressed, people and I think Nestle should remove itself from promotion of the film.

I am still sick, on antibiotics and have asthma pretty bad, Mr Almost 3 has been diagnosed with ...SURPRISE SURPRISE ....Asthma....Activity induced...Great, just like Mum used to have. Bonus is I grew out of it at 14 and it came back during pregnancy 1# and is now virally induced like Miss 8"s who has almost grown out of it...Or is so damn healthy she doesn't catch colds or such any more(touch wood).

Two and bit days(have to count today as it's not over and never been one to wish a day away) till the GIRLS WEEKEND AWAY. But who's counting....
Ok that 's it, people, don't forget to eat your brussel sprouts and teach the budgie to say rude words. Bye

2 comments:

Guruann said...

Hope you start feeling better, got to get teh energy up for some serious partying on the weekend.

I am the Queen of EVERYTHNG...OK!! said...

Not a lot of partying, more like child and hubby free shopping, eating out, Gold Club piccies (only once)sleeping in, massages, facials, pedicures.....and only 24plus hours to go.
Ray...I am still trying to find the "original" of the story, I'd like to read it.